As a responsible investor with a share portfolio, CNP Assurances has had a dialogue and voting policy with listed companies in which it invests directly since 2005.
Dialogue with companies
Our Group intends to support its climate and biodiversity strategy by encouraging companies to publish information on the risks related to climate change and biodiversity loss.
The Group would also like to improve their corporate governance in terms of the composition of the board of directors, separation of duties and executive compensation.
To do this, CNP Assurances relies on its voting policy, the information published by companies, analysis by shareholder advisory firms and dialogue with companies ahead of general meetings.
This dialogue with companies addresses ESG, corporate-strategy and financial-performance issues.
Depending on the company’s activity, the following themes are discussed:
- the transparency and quality of the information they publish,
- compensation for executives and directors,
- resolutions relating to the energy and environmental transition.
Our voting policy
Votes at the general meetings
CNP Assurances votes at the general meetings of almost all French and European companies in its portfolio.
The principles set out in the voting policy aim to :
- defend the rights of CNP Assurances as a minority shareholder in the long-term interest of its insured parties and its own shareholders
- support the long-term valuation of the shares held
- promote sustainable development at companies of which CNP Assurances is a shareholder by supporting development strategies that account for their impact on all stakeholders.
In 2019, CNP Assurances voted against 284 resolutions - 17% of the resolutions submitted at general meetings - which were mainly related to executive compensation.