CNP Assurances’ mission is to protect people over potentially extensive periods of time. We are therefore naturally committed to the very long-term value of our assets, which is why we make sustainable financial investments.
Our contribution to the energy and environmental transition involves strengthening the climate criterion when managing our portfolio.
CNP Assurances has been a signatory to the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) since 2011, selecting its investments according to environmental, social and governance (ESG) criteria.
At the end of 2019, 82% of the Group’s traditional and unit-linked product portfolio assets were managed with ESG filters (89% of traditional portfolio assets).
A steadfast commitment to the climate
In accordance with the Paris Agreement, CNP Assurances has set ambitious climate targets for itself which it reports as it achieves them. We are taking action by proactively reducing the portfolio’s carbon footprint, particularly by investing very heavily in building renovation.
And by making substantial investments in energy transition.
To raise the bar in its fight against global warming, CNP Assurances has made the following commitments:
- Achieving a carbon-neutral investment portfolio by 2050 through joining the Net-Zero Asset Owner Alliance;
- Doubling its green investments by 2023 to reach €20bn (including forests, green bonds, energy-efficient buildings and green infrastructure);
- Achieving zero exposure to thermal coal in its investment portfolio by 2030 in European Union and OECD countries and by 2040 throughout the rest of the world;
- Divesting from companies with more than 20% of turnover linked to thermal coal;
- Setting up a Climate Risk Committee in 2019 to monitor initiatives to include climate risk in every aspect of the business (investment, insurance and internal operations).
For more information: download the 2019 Sustainable Investment Report
Considering the impact of our investments on society and the environment
Since 2006, CNP Assurances has taken a comprehensive responsible-investment approach in accordance with the specific nature of each sub-fund of assets:
- Signature of the Tobacco-Free Finance Pledge
- Adoption of a definitive thermal coal exit plan
- Commitment to a carbon-neutral investment portfolio by 2050
- Adoption of a stricter coal policy
- Increase in the green investment target
First public report on the incorporation of ESG criteria into the investment strategy
- Adoption of the first climate strategy with quantified objectives
- Objective to reduce the investment portfolio’s carbon footprint
- Establishment of the green-investment target
- Adoption of the first coal policy
Exclusion of offshore financial centres
Signature of the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI)
Exclusion of cluster bomb and anti-personnel mine manufacturers
First implementation of a best-in-class ESG approach across the entire share portfolio
CNP Assurances has therefore consistently proven its strong commitment to a future where global warming would be limited to 1.5°C at the end of this century.